Feb 102007
 

Many hosting companies, like mine, won’t have the AJAX Extensions installed in the GAC for quite a while, if ever.   No worries, you can just put the DLLs in your Bin folder.   Since MS hasn’t graced us with the DLLs, so you’ll have to get them out of your GAC.  I haven’t found a way to copy DLLs using Windows Explorer, but command-line never fails.


copy “C:WINDOWSassemblyGAC_MSILSystem.Web.Extensions1.0.61025.0__31bf3856ad364e35” C:devMyAppBin
copy “C:WINDOWSassemblyGAC_MSILSystem.Web.Extensions.Design1.0.61025.0__31bf3856ad364e35” C:devMyAppBin

Feb 102007
 

I frequently place an UpdatePanel around a paged GridView with inline editing.   During OnRowUpdating, the object is saved.   If the save was not successful, I like to show an alert box with the error message.  


I recently migrated from the Atlas May CTP to ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX.   The following code worked with the May CTP, but, from my research, has not worked since July CTP:



Page.ClientScript.RegisterStartupScript(typeof(string), “alertScript”, “alert(‘Error Message’);”, true);


However, our pals at Microsoft have given us something just as good.   I found it by mistake while trying to put in a hack involving checking the value of ScriptManager.GetCurrent(Page).IsInAsyncPostBack.  Here is the AJAX-friendly equivalent:



ScriptManager.RegisterStartupScript(this.updatePanel, typeof(string), “alertScript”, “alert(‘Error Message’);”, true);


Hope this helps someone.  There are many blog posts, with many more comments, with people compaining about this.

Feb 082007
 

I just migrated from the Atlas July CTP to ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions 1.0.  After following all of the instructions on the AJAX site, my web site still showed tons of errors.  I’m using a Web Site, not Web Application, with a ScriptManager in a WebForm that uses a MasterPage.   Every page shows errors on AJAX tags. 


Yes, I removed the Atlas DLL.  No, my web.config is not messed up.  Something else is wrong here.   I found a “fix”.   The sequence of steps seems a little odd to me, but I did’t care, it worked.  However, the problem resurfaced when I closed my MasterPage.


More searching led me to a great alternative to a true solution.   An ASP.NET Forums post had some back-and-forth on the topic.  Ultimately, the best solution at this point is to change the tagprefix to “ajax”.   This works great, and, in fact, I like it better because it separates the ajax controls from the standard asp controls.


<add tagPrefix=ajax namespace=System.Web.UI assembly=System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35/>